Problem with *.zip archives

James McCoy jamessan at debian.org
Wed Mar 26 00:59:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 06:25:33PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I also got the message
>
>   Cannot determine compression method of ... at /home/andreas/bin/uscan line 1969.
>
> for an ordinary *.tgz without any attempt to unpack (for gnumed-server actually).
>
> Any clue what might went wrong?

This was broken in ae87e001b when detection of the downloaded file's
compression switched to using compression_guess_from_filename instead of
custom regexes.

$ perl -MDpkg::Compression -e 'print compression_guess_from_filename("foo.tgz")'
$ perl -MDpkg::Compression -e 'print compression_guess_from_filename("foo.tar.gz")'
gzip

compression_guess_from_filename() only groks files that end in .gz,
.bz2, .lzma, and .xz.  I can see if dpkg is receptive to a patch to also
understand .tgz, .tbz2, etc. but this will need to be fixed in the
interim.

Cheers,
--
James