Problem with *.zip archives

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Mar 26 08:24:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 08:59:54PM -0400, James McCoy wrote:

> This was broken in ae87e001b when detection of the downloaded file's
> compression switched to using compression_guess_from_filename instead of
> custom regexes.

Uhmmm, isn't this the windows approach to guess the content from a name???

> $ perl -MDpkg::Compression -e 'print compression_guess_from_filename("foo.tgz")'
> $ perl -MDpkg::Compression -e 'print compression_guess_from_filename("foo.tar.gz")'
> gzip
>
> compression_guess_from_filename() only groks files that end in .gz,
> .bz2, .lzma, and .xz.  I can see if dpkg is receptive to a patch to also
> understand .tgz, .tbz2, etc. but this will need to be fixed in the
> interim.

I'd regard this as the wrong approach to use the extension as the way to
decide about the compression.  Please (at least as fallback!) use the
(perl equivalent of) file to find out the real compression method.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de