Problem with *.zip archives

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Mar 26 15:06:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2014, 09:24 +0100 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> > $ perl -MDpkg::Compression -e 'print compression_guess_from_filename("foo.tgz")'
> > $ perl -MDpkg::Compression -e 'print compression_guess_from_filename("foo.tar.gz")'
> > gzip
> >
> > compression_guess_from_filename() only groks files that end in .gz,
> > .bz2, .lzma, and .xz.  I can see if dpkg is receptive to a patch to also
> > understand .tgz, .tbz2, etc. but this will need to be fixed in the
> > interim.
>
> I'd regard this as the wrong approach to use the extension as the way to
> decide about the compression.  Please (at least as fallback!) use the
> (perl equivalent of) file to find out the real compression method.

I was trying to stay close to the original implementation, but you are
of course right, a call to "file" (or a library equivalent) should be
used here.

Also I’m beginning to think that we should have a "prepare-orig-tar"
command (with a good name to be found) that has the repack, exclude and
rename functionality; it is useful independent of uscan (I might get my
tarballs by some other means). uscan should just call it, passing
through the relevant parameters.

I’m on holidays right now, don’t expect any hacking from me until next
week.

Greetings,
Joachim

--