debuild clean does not apply patches; would be nice to have new dpkg-buildpackage option needed

Robert Luberda robert at debian.org
Sun Jan 31 00:46:05 UTC 2016

clone 769520 -1
reassign -1 devscripts 2.15.10
submitter -1 !
block -1 by 769520
retitle 769520 dpkg-buildpackage lacks an option to run `debian/rules clean' only, after applying patches to source in quilt 3.0 format
thanks

Hi

I have the same issue as in the original report: `debuild clean' fails
when patches are unapplied (this happens on p7zip package I am currently
migrating to the 3.0 source format), which in turn causes failure of
`gbp buildpackage'.

I know `debuild clean' calls debian/rules directly, but what else
can it do? It could eventually call `dpkg-buildpackage -T clean',
but unfortunatelly this does not apply patches either.

So could you please add some option to dpkg-buildpackage that will
 - apply patches
 - run debian/rules clean
 - unapply patches (unless --no-unapply-patches is used)
Such an option can be used by debuild afterwards.

Regards,
robert

PS. I've managed to work-around this bug by calling `dpkg-source --before-build
$(CURDIR)' as the first command in the clean target, but I do not really
like such solution.