Debian-Forensics team working towards Squeeze?

Michael Prokop mika at debian.org
Thu Mar 25 22:55:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

thanks for all your feedback. I started to work on

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/BugSquashing

and also did some cleanups on

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/TODO

Please check it out and review/fix/add/update accordingly.

I'm wondering if an IRC meeting (something like a virtual
BugSquashingParty) is something we should try. Is anyone of you
interested in that as well? If so, please let me know and provide
your timezone and your prefered days of the week and daytime so I
can try to schedule such an event.

Some notes regarding your mails:

* Christophe Monniez <christophe.monniez at fccu.be> [Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 12:02:47PM +0100]:
> Le samedi 20 mars 2010 à 11:24 +0100, Michael Prokop a écrit :

> > * get rid of any present bugs, especially the RC ones - related to
> >   http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=forensics-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

> I'm currently working on the reglookup rc bug.

Thanks, added.

> > * check out which new additional packages should be integrated,
> >   related to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/TODO

> I've started the work on aimage.

Thanks, added (and check my other mail regarding this issue).

> > BTW: Anyone of you planning to join DebConf10? http://debconf10.debconf.org/

> > [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/03/msg00005.html

> Too far, too much plane :-)

Ok, that's sad to hear. :)

* Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago at debian.org> [Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 10:09:03AM -0200]:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:24:36 +0100, Michael Prokop wrote

> > * get rid of any present bugs, especially the RC ones - related to

> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=forensics-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

Thanks, linked. (I was aware of this page of course, I just want to
make sure no one is duplicating any efforts and on the other side
make sure that we don't miss any important issues we'd like to see
resolved for the squeeze release, so I think the "Assigned to" row
might help us on
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/BugSquashing, JFTR)

> > * check out which new additional packages should be integrated,
> >   related to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/TODO

> Also checking opened ITPs/RFPs related to forensics and trying to bring them
> to the team. (I'm specially interested in msnshadow)

Thanks, added.

> > BTW: Anyone of you planning to join DebConf10? http://debconf10.debconf.org/

> I will. I usually work for the video team during DCs, but working on forensics
> team this year would be great.

Oh that's great news. If anyone else of the Debian-Forensics team is
at DebConf10 I'd volunteer to organize a Debcamp meeting - so please
let us know! :)

* Tim <tim-projects at sentinelchicken.org> [Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 06:15:47PM -0700]:

> > * make sure all our packages are up2date (matching current upstream
> >   release)

> In regard to this, I'm in one of my active development cycles on
> RegLookup.  I'm getting some help from a certain Australian whiz kid
> and he's inspiring me to push the development further.  I was hoping
> to make one more release sometime soon and get it into squeeze if
> possible.  What do you guess my timeline would be on that?

Not yet sure when the real freeze for non-base packages will happen,
but I'd suggest that we should make sure we have up2date versions in
unstable so we can observe transitions to testing in time to react
on any possible problems.

Christophe, I noticed you worked on that already, should I upload
it?

> > * check out which new additional packages should be integrated,
> >   related to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/TODO

> In a quick look at that list, I'd love to see these be packaged:
>   air
>   fmem
>   libpff
>   dc3dd

Ok, I've added the information accordingly to
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/BugSquashing

Regarding fmem: do you use this in reallife?

> pyflag would of course be cool too, but it may be a lot more effort on
> short notice.

ACK.

> I agree with mika that hydra shouldn't be a high priority.  The
> few times I've used it, it either didn't do what I wanted or it
> crashed.  medusa seems to be much more stable, if lightly
> documented.  It's bloody fast too.

Ok, thanks for your feedback. Any objections against dropping hydra
from http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics/TODO ?

> > I'd work on a new wiki page at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianForensics
> > for coordinating the efforts if some of you are interested in joining.

> If you guys do have any nasty bugs in a package, let me know and I can
> try to help with the debugging/resolution or working with the upstream.

Thanks, Tim.

regards,
-mika-