TSK 4.1.2

Eriberto eriberto at eriberto.pro.br
Mon Feb 3 18:22:56 UTC 2014

2014-02-03 Michael Prokop <mika at debian.org>:

>> Sorry. I didn't understand what you want. I repackaged all because
>> this is a new upstream version.
>
> Every change should go into a separate commit.

Ok. I had no idea that this was the best way. I work with forensics,
security, networks and only use VCS on Debian. Sorry. I will try to do
right from now on.

> No, it's fine for those patches, but it's unclear e.g. here:
>
> |  * sleuthkit.postinst: removed.
> |  * sleuthkit.prerm: removed.

The explanation is here:

  * debian/rules:
      [...]
      - Removed the override_dh_auto_install target, that adds -sleuthkit
        suffix to icat, ils and mactime files. It is obsolete because TCT
        project is dead and was removed from Debian in 2011. Note that this
        action will make d/sleuthkit.{postinst,prerm} useless. (LP: #480877)
       [...]
  * sleuthkit.manpages: updated.
  * sleuthkit.postinst: removed.

Perhaps I should cite d/rules after the "updated/removed". Do you have
another suggestion?

> You shouldn't add/remove maintainers without their ACK,
> so just leave it as it is plus add yourself if you feel like you
> want to contribute to this package also in the future (as in: feel
> responsible for bug reports etc).

Ah ok. Then, I think the Uploaders field is right. Christophe was the
last maintainer and never asked to go out. Hilko helped me and has
another package in the team (Yara). I asked to Hilko about your name
before put it in Uploaders and he agreed. Hilko works with malwares
and is very important to help to maintain this package.

>> >   [I don't strictly require to have the patch split into separate
>> >   changes now that all the work has been done already, so it's more
>> >   of a general note for the future - but I'm also not really
>> >   comfortable with uploading it as it is right now, ftr.]
>
>> Please, explain me again your idea and I will move the world to get
>> this package updated quickly in Debian. I need this.
>
> As noted above, all your changes went into one single commit
> (b76f91787c1), instead of making each change into a separate commit.

Well, do you are going to accept my job, even though this way?

>> dh_strip -a -plibtsk10 --dbg-package=libtsk10-dbg didn't provide any
>> results. The original lib is already stripped. Do ypu have a
>> suggestion about it?
>
> Didn't check yet, but if upstream is already stripping it in the
> default install target then we should see what's the best way to
> avoid that. (I'm fine with providing a sleuthkit update without
> providing a dbg package for now.)

Ok. The lib is stripped by the upstream.

> Further notes:
>
> * sleuthkit_4.1.2.orig.tar.gz is missing in pristine-tar branch
> * upstream branch doesn't provide 4.1.2 source
>
> See http://people.debian.org/~mika/forensics/maintainer.html for its
> supposed workflow. I've just fixed both of that, but you never
> imported/merged upstream stuff into your own branch, so I'm
> wondering how you actually build your Debian package, because your
> branch clearly doesn't match upstream's 4.1.2 source (and it doesn't
> build for me).

Sorry. I didn't know what to do in a branch. It was my first branch.
Then, I commited the debian directory only.

The package was made over 4.1.2 and builds fine. I usually put my
packages in mentors. Please, see here:

https://mentors.debian.net/package/sleuthkit

The version is 4.1.2-1 and the upload date was 27 jan 2014.

> BTW: sleuthkit 4.1.3 was just released on Jan 26, 2014

I finished my package at 26 jan (my first mail to the team). An
amazing coincidence. But I can update. Perhaps the best option be
upload the 4.1.2 and, then, deal with 4.1.3. I need a starting point.
And I can update quickly to 4.1.3 after the 4.1.2 become to testing.

> regards,
> -mika-

Thanks Mika!