[Freedombox-discuss] A software architecture for the FreedomBox

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Wed Apr 13 21:24:13 UTC 2011

On 4/13/2011 10:06 AM, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is my first message on this list so let me introduce myself.
> I'm Rob van der Hoeven, a developer from The Netherlands that want a
> FreedomBox for myself (and everyone else of course!). At the moment i'm
> building my own FreedomBox and like to share my work/experience with
> other FreedomBox enthusiasts. For this i created a blog
> (http://freedomboxblog.nl/) to document the building of my own
> FreedomBox.

Welcome! It's good to have another architect/hands on guy here. :)
I like the blog. Good architecture. I recently posted to the list with
my vision of what the freedombox software stack looks like in my opinion.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-April/001305.html

Would love to get some feedback on the idea.

> One of the first things you have to do when building a system like the
> FreedomBox is figure out the software architecture.

So true.

>   I have come up with
> an interesting architecture that is made of Linux Containers (Virtual
> Machines).

Using LXC? :)

>   Maybe this is already discussed on this list (i have joined
> only recently). If you are interested you can read about it on:
>
> http://freedomboxblog.nl/a-software-architecture-for-the-freedombox/

This is the way to go. Keeping things separated. Have a public VM, some
private
virtual machines, and some really private stuff (bitcoin vault). Maybe
run a small
bit of security supervisory code on the bare metal? That is where the
firewall
and vlan termination should be in my opinion.