[Freedombox-discuss] How should we translate 'box'?

Osama Khalid osamak at gnu.org
Sat Feb 19 14:36:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

We started advocating the FreedomBox in Arabic. We translated the name
to 'Freedom Container' but some have mentioned that it could mean
'Freedom Computer' according to this definition:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/box#computing

On identi.ca, there wasn't an overwhelming agreement in the this
thread:

http://identi.ca/conversation/64004029

Personally, I find the name 'container' better for normal people who
may not get the idea that this plug server is an actual computer as
they know it since it will do many uncommon tasks in PCs. It also can
be interpreted as communication freedom sent in a prepackaged box,
once it's opened, it will enable people to gain real-life freedom.

--Osama Khalid