[Freedombox-discuss] Discussion system for FreedomBox Foundation

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 21:09:11 UTC 2011

> What about timezones  ?

persistence, the best of concurrent editing shows up
when there are people online on one theme, just amazing,
and when people offline - it could look like a wiki

> Whats the difference between etherpad and IRC ?

the point is in time economy - when the structuring of wiki
like result
is real-time driven by people that could chat nearby,
in such environment - ideas are discussed and produced
more rapidly, with less chance of repeating what is already
said but in another wiki or another topic..

please, see example without a chat -
http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/testday-20110715
example with a chat http://etherpad.mozilla.com:9000/qa-auto-mozmill-crowd
example with a big chat - and big list - http://primarypad.com/OeMj2ZnZqo
(sorry for adv, can't find bigger)
there are  https://github.com/toolness/all-my-etherpads#readme
automate html converter
that could make it like http://htmlpad.org/qa-auto-mozmill-crowd/
there are no html mark-up, but if you'll see the source of that page -
it creates a simple mark-spaced
mock-up that could be nicely automated into wiki, i think.

I'm not saying Etherpad is very good but it is, certainly, user-friendly
and allows every-one just crossing by  - to collaborate quickly,
another good parts is integrated chat with persistence,
timeline, revisions, all this makes it  open to anyone,
and still - maintainable
environment.

there won't be a lot of crossing by people in freenode,
and i haven't seen another persistence except of some
barely readable logs,
by that i think - chatting into IRC is like chatting into black hole,
can't see why so many OSS projects still using it, given
the 10+ years of XMPP history that overcomes IRC in absolutely all areas,
IMO.

> http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox#Software_.26_protocols
 adding something to your wiki wasn't a nice experience, also,
i don't even like -  editing Wikipedia, and won't do it on daily basis,
even if i'd have info for it.
Maybe i'm biased somewhere,
but maybe - they aren't so good either.

yes, i'v seen the brainstorm page on the day i'v seen FreedomBox and
it scared me so much - i'v decided to write my proposition here, finally :)

BTW - not many likes Mailman lists also, as i'v heard,
personally - i can't work with on stable basis without
a headache of my, inner, designer, bad experience, in overall,
particularly for one who would  manually  make an essence of all
this and than take to the wiki, that's where Etherpad comes -  pretty useful.

> https://talkgadget.google.com/talkgadget/hangout/
:) yeah but the great point in that - everybody could use Etherpad
without registration
and it's open-source.

> All RFCs for at the IETF are developed thru mailing list and some  people, like me ,
> that are not native english speakers and  cant follow a very technical  live discussion so easily,
> therefore i  would prefer Asynchronous communication. :)

strong point, but Etherpad encourages the result in Wiki alike style
but easily changeable, and far more user-friendly;
shortened-style tech talks have their place in chat,
like in -