[Freedombox-discuss] Working Groups and commercial tools

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Tue Jul 19 16:01:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:40:38 +0200, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 09:28:06PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > On 11-07-14 at 08:43am, James Vasile wrote:
> > > There are two questions here.  First, what working groups should we
> > > form.  Second, how shall those groups operate?  I think if we answer
> > > the first, each group can answer the second on its own.  I'm happy to
> > > arrange hosted infrastructure to the extent debian.org or github don't
> > > suit.
> >
> > Makes sense to leave it to each group how they operate.  But please
> > think twice before choosing cool-but-commercially-controlled tools at
> > github or Google or Ubuntu or wherever: It might be fine initially with
> > everyone in the group, but may discourage later contributions to that
> > group from some of the careful/paranoid among us (myself included).
>
> +1
>
> I don't use github, and the FreedomBox project might gain in visibility by
> having its own git hosting. Projects related to this one would all be in
> one place, easy to find, rather than spread everywhere. Might be alioth'
> git hosting, but it requires to have access to it.

For all the obvious reasons, we prefer our own services where we can.
We use this Debian mailing list and the wiki.  Our blog planet
<http://planeteria.org/freedombox> is via a site I created (the
planeteria.org web server is configured not to keep logs).

Still, Eben and Ian and I decided at the start to rely on existing
services to lighten our load.  We use universal subtitles for subtitling
our videos and another service for translating our wiki.  We spread the
word on Diaspora (when it's up) and identi.ca (and even Facebook and
Twitter).  I personally use git hub for other things I work on.

I'll leave it to people to decide for themselves where they want to post
their own code.  The Foundation might well host its own, but we haven't
discussed it internally much.  Alioth might be the right answer for the
Foundation.

As for collecting git repos in one place, I think the wiki might be a
good place for linking to such.  I can put a link from the Foundation
website to make it easier to find.

If you still crave git hosting in a central place and want to spearhead
creating and maintaining that place, I'm happy to let you use the
Foundation to house it.

Best regards,
James