[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox focus (was Re: Debian FreedomBox = Existing Debian packages on plug hardware)

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul.gardner.stephen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:27:55 UTC 2011

Hi All,

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 March 2011 17:55, Les Orchard <l.m.orchard at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On 3/1/11 10:41 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>>
>>> What about Eben's original talk about NYU a year ago, 'Freedom in the
>>> Cloud', where he coined the term 'Freedom Box'?
>>>
>>> I believe he mentioned both Fedora and Debian..  IMHO he was promoting
>>> the idea of free software in the freedom box, and selected Debian as a
>>> leader rather than an absolute.
>>
>> If this list stays broad and general - targeting any hardware that might be
>> small-ish running any free-like-speech software facilitating goals that are
>> freedom-y - nothing will get done.
>>
>> My take is that "FreedomBox" is Debian on self-hosted plug computers,
>> running software to replace centralized social networking and enhance
>> network privacy.
>>
>> That's pretty focused, at least on OS and hardware. It narrows things down
>> to a practical scope for a first release: What Debian packages make up the
>> distro, and what glue is needed to make it work? A lot of good stuff already
>> exists as Debian packages, so something interesting can be spun up quickly.
>>
>> If you want to make something like a FreedomBox out of an Android phone or a
>> Fedora distro, great. But, that should be spun off from this project.

Agreed, partly because I run that other project already: ServalProject.org
We run our discussions at
http://groups.google.com/group/serval-project-developers

> Sounds good to me.
>
> But I think the list should also be open talk to other projects with
> similar goals.

Very agreed! This is how we ensure that our projects complement and
support one another in our common goals of ubiquitous, freed
communication for all.

> The social networking part is a whole project in itself.

Indeed :)

Paul.