[Freedombox-discuss] Russ Nelson: Admin-free Chumby; inet scripts; supply chains

Aaron Huslage huslage at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 01:02:13 UTC 2011

The Chumby hardware is open source and they sell the screenless "hacker"
board here:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10106

You don't have to run their software...it's just a Freescale ARM proc which
is similar in power to the plug computer. They know how to do supply chain
management (they make a version for Best Buy as well). Chumby would be a
GREAT partner for this project.

Arguments that it's not robust are simply untrue. The brick because of not
phoning home is a design requirement for their business model.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM, James Vasile <james at hackervisions.org>wrote:

> I have a Chumby.  It has a screen, which this box certainly does not
> need and which accounts for a lot of its cost.  That's why it's
> underspecced for the money.
>
> Its admin model is great if all you care about is end user convenience,
> but it's not very robust.  The thing becomes a brick if it can't call
> home.  We should implement remote admin with little end-user
> intervention.  We should do that, though, without reliance on a central,
> attackable administrator.

Aaron Huslage -  +1-919-600-1712
http://blog.hact.net
IM: AIM - ahuslage; Yahoo - ahuslage; MSN - huslage at gmail.com; GTalk -