[Freedombox-discuss] Japan

jonathan d p ferguson jdpf.plus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:14:49 UTC 2011

hi.

I joined this list a few weeks ago because I was inspired by Eben's FOSDEM talk. I was very pleased to discover that the project had started in August: Go Debian!

As an Amateur Radio operator, I've long been interested in emergency communications and decentralization. What can you do with Amateur Radio? Using only a 5 watt handheld transceiver, I've spoken with astronauts.  Using a 10 watt 6 meter radio, I've spoken with people more than 5000 km away. Amateur Radio operators the world over have developed expertise in extracting maximum gain with minimum power. Amateur Radio operators are licensed for many of the same bands that run WiFi, and can run WiFi at much higher power than typical consumers (albeit, without encryption). :(

See:
http://www.unwiredadventures.com/unwire/2005/12/defcon_wifi_sho.html and http://www.cisar.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=242&Itemid=111

As a Debian user/sysadmin since Debian began, I am very excited by the possibility of a set of packages for accomplishing such decentralized communications over wireless means: mesh, wifi, etc. Thanks again for starting, and working on this project!

In the vein of emergency preparedness, I wanted to point out that Amateur Radio has a lot to offer to such projects--- in terms of core radio technology and emergency communications processes. Amateur Radio is a well established, ad hoc, decentralized, and not infrequently, the only communications network during emergencies.

In an aim to help this project, I encourage interested parties to learn how aspects of Amateur Radio might help inform or assist Freedom Box, Serval, etc.

Thanks.

have a day.yad
jdpf