[Freedombox-discuss] distributed DNS

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Tue Mar 15 12:36:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:35:33AM +0000, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I think I am missing something here - what problem do you want to solve with
> this?  Are you talking about teaching Freedomboxes to be dynamic DNS
> servers, or do you want to create an alternative to the existing dynamic DNS
> providers out there?  (And if so, why?)

Yeah, the idea is to build a dynamic DNS service, distributed if possible.
I see no point in building a freedombox if its DNS system is based on
"cloudy" (or mainstream if you prefer) services like dyndns.

> The hard part about dynamic DNS is not serving up the records - as you have
> pointed out, DNS servers with pluggable back-ends make this trivially easy
> to implement. It's all the management and infrastructure and policy you need
> to make it secure and reliable - and in the end, someone has to pay the
> bills for bandwidth and domain name registration. (Not terribly expensive,
> but not free either.)

Well, pay the bill for a DNS domain at least, not that expensive though.
Some are already rented by people around here.
Bandwidth shouldn't be a problem if the system is decentralized. I guess
the best would be for such a system to be able to support multiple domain
name, so that if some fb user wants to own and use one, he/she could
manage it.

> I've implemented a dynamic DNS service, on top of powerdns and redis.  It's
> part of the infrastructure behind pagekite.net.  I wouldn't mind sharing
> that code, I am sure some peer review would do it good. :-)

Nice, sure I'd like to see/test that. I'm not a lot in redis and all, but
might be usefull in the futur.

bert.