[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Translating expressions...

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Wed May 25 14:00:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 24 May 2011 22:27:00 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

> > When Eben speaks of the "Free World", I take him to mean "the community
> > of people who so love freedom that they love free software and the
> > culture of sharing".
>
> If this is what he means, he must realize that he's making an allusion
> (probably humorous) to the concept the OP refers to.  I can see why such
> an allusion wouldn't translate or internationalize well, unfortunately.
>
> There's a lot of political and cultural baggage in the phrase "the free
> world", even within the USA (it evokes Ronald Reagan for me; not exactly
> a non-polarizing figure).  It's probably a good idea to think through
> how this sort of language would play out globally before deciding that
> we really want to commit to using it.
>
> 	--dkg

My view is that by referencing the Free World and all its negative
connotations, he highlights what we're building by comparison: true
freedom.  The kind of bottom-up power that makes it harder for
governments to abuse and hegemony to form.

I do take your point and I'll pass the feedback to him.

-James