[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox/Unhosted/PageKite for Access Innovation Prize 2012

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Mon Jul 9 10:31:25 UTC 2012

Hi Marc,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Marc <marc at let.de> wrote:
> There are several open source registies out there:
>
> http://let.de/index.php/the-search-for-a-registry-solution-experiences-of-a-small-cctld/
>
> Why certs ? Every twitter or facebook app works with an api key , why not
> simply use somethign like that ?

Not sure which problem you are trying to solve here, you should
clarify. Whether a DNS registry is open source or not is largely
irrelevant, if you need a domain you need someone to provide you with
it - unless you plan to run your own TLD, we're obviously not all
going to do.

> Why reinventing the wheel when working code and solutions are out there ?
>
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/uia/

Thanks for this link, this is awesome work which I was unaware of. :-)
 The research paper is very long and I only skimmed it to get a feel
for what it could do.

IAt first glance this looks very relevant to other (non-web-serving)
aspects of the FreedomBox - it looks like it is (potentially) a more
decentralized and more performant alternative to Tor (so gaining speed
and decentralization,but sacrificing strong anonymity). There may well
be many use-cases where that is a good trade-off.

However, at first glance UIA doesn't appear useful for folks who want
to take part in the "legacy" public web, as the addresses it allocates
are cryptographic hashes which they generally represent to the OS as
part of the IPv6 pool reserved for link-local (so completely
non-routeable).

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.