[Freedombox-discuss] updates to plinth

Sean O'Brien me at seandiggity.com
Mon Mar 12 20:56:25 UTC 2012

> The top bar isn't "too" busy in my opinion, but unnecessarily busy.
> The icons are rather small and they don't really help identifying the
> meaning of the content that they present.
> I probably would omit them and make use of the extra space that gets
> available; maybe size up the font!
> Same is true for the secondary menu.

I agree that we need to find better ways to display the main categories
and make them the focus of the design.  I do, however, think the toolbar
is the right size.  So, the wise thing to do would be moving the main
categories elsewhere. and changing the structure of the page around.

I do like the little icons...at least in the side menu  I think the open
eye next to privacy is probably the best example of something that fits
perfectly.  I'd rather change these icons where necessary than remove
them completely.

> But before we go into detail here too much:
> What is actually the content of the first FB release?
> Some list of current and planned features are necessary to group/layout
> the menus properly. Is something like that maintained?

For top-level categories, my plan was:

Share - Filesharing etc.

Communicate - SIP configuration etc.

Publish - Wiki, blog, whatever you want the world to see (and maybe
others don't want you to post)

Social - Social networking (I think http://newebe.org is a good
candidate for this)

Identity - Privacy config

System - This will have adding/removing/disabling modules under it.

Help - Documentation etc.

^ My plan right now is to treat Plinth's modules as "apps", each falling
into one of those categories (or others if we think of them).

> @Sean: where is the current menu text from?

It's just grabbed from the existing Plinth modules, which James wrote.
The code needs some work to make things like that easier to change, but
it's still very flexible as-is.

> All in all I like the result of building upon the framework Sean chose
> for the theme!

Bootstrap is very easy to work with, so I'm glad I got it in there.  Now
comes the more difficult work.