[Freedombox-discuss] updates to plinth

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Mon Mar 12 22:08:21 UTC 2012

On 12/03/12 21:56, Sean O'Brien wrote:

>> The top bar isn't "too" busy in my opinion, but unnecessarily busy.
>> The icons are rather small and they don't really help identifying the
>> meaning of the content that they present.
>> I probably would omit them and make use of the extra space that gets
>> available; maybe size up the font!
>> Same is true for the secondary menu.
> I agree that we need to find better ways to display the main categories
> and make them the focus of the design.  I do, however, think the toolbar
> is the right size.

You probably misunderstood me - I meant to scale up the font only, not
the whole bar.

>   So, the wise thing to do would be moving the main
> categories elsewhere. and changing the structure of the page around.
>
> I do like the little icons...at least in the side menu  I think the open
> eye next to privacy is probably the best example of something that fits
> perfectly.  I'd rather change these icons where necessary than remove
> them completely.

I'm not completely against icons, they certainly are decorative,
appealing and sometimes really useful!
The problem is that if just some work sufficiently - you have to
question using them on every menu item.
So I agree that we might work on creating a complete set, but as long as
there are mainly vague icons that come from a standard iconset with
questionable semantic meaning we should better not use them at all.