[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox VoIP/IM/Comms (SIP and Jabber), Jingle Nodes, SIP RELOAD

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Thu Sep 27 18:16:34 UTC 2012

On 27/09/12 14:02, Ramana Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au>wrote:
>
>>  I've proposed a session on this issue for the upcoming Paris
>> Mini-Debconf:
>>
>>   http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Miniconf-Paris/2012#Talks_proposal_details
>>
>> It would be really useful to understand if other people with an
>> interest in this area will be attending and/or would like to
>> contribute to the planning/agenda for such a session
>>

> I'm very interested in free audio/video realtime comms, and I could
> probably make it to the Paris Mini-Debconf, but I'm not particularly
> interested in Debian per se. If I could be useful or wanted at the meeting,
> let me know. Might be able to help with planning/agenda.

The proposed session is not strictly for Debian

One of the key differences between free software and free communications
is that communications has to span multiple platforms

So there is no reason the session won't cover things like choice of
codec, registration mechanisms or privacy issues that are applicable on
Debian, FreedomBox or even for a Windows user

However, I believe Debian is an excellent platform to demonstrate
leadership in this area, given that it has it's roots in principles of
freedom