[Freedombox-discuss] Hello & A Beginner's Question

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 16 17:10:35 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

Quoting Peter Rock (2013-01-16 16:29:24)
> Hi, I'm new here and my name is Peter. I received a box from the
> Kickstarter effort and I'm trying to figure out how to get started.
> Sorry I am very new to this and don't really know what I'm doing but I
> want to learn about this device/software.
>
> Following the Aug 2012 user guide, I got up to part E. Basic
> Procedures for Debugging. I have installed the required software
> (minicom) and plugged in the box correctly, I believe. I also ran the
> setup and changed the settings and then saved. But when I run
>
> minicom -o marvell
>
> at the terminal it doesn't offer any output.
>
> One thing I did different is that the guide says to use Fedora 14 but
> I am running Fedora 17. Does this make a difference?

Sounds like you are better helped by getting in touch with those who
provided you that box and wrote that user guide.

This mailinglist is not a support forum but list about developing a
Debian-based box.  We use wiki pages below
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox for our documentation and have not
written a user documentation yet.

Don't get me wrong - I do not mean to push you away: You are more than
welcome to engage here, and you need not be experienced Debian geek.
Just want you to not make wrong expectations of this place as being a
support forum for user oriented stuff provided by others.

Regards,

 - Jonas

P.S.  Perhaps your box is a DreamPlug which you receieved from the
FreedomBox Foundation.  You can find their contact information here:
https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/contact/