[Freedombox-discuss] Low Cost Community Wi-Fi Networks

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Thu Mar 2 17:57:56 UTC 2017

On 03/02/2017 05:35 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Hi.  Very cool project and very interesting report.  I look forward to
> testing some of these features on my FreedomBox. :)

I know you are lightly poking at me for Ampache, etc. :)  We have to
make time for improving its packaging in Debian.

Let me just say that people like it.  They are using "Power Ampache"
(new devices) and "Amdriod" (older and newer devices).

> [Sunil Mohan Adapa]
>>   - VOIP Software: To allow free voice calls across the village.  A free
>>     software VOIP server known as repro was setup on FreedomBox.  It
>>     uses the SIP protocol for communication.  On the client side,
>>     another free software program built for the Android operating system
>>     know as CSipSimple was used.
>
> Is this done using stock Android phones, or do you have to root them?  I
> believe I saw claims from the Serval project that Android is unable to
> configure mesh networking without rooting the pone.  Is this still true,
> and if so, how did you get around it?

Of the nearly 110 mobile phones we setup, only one was Windows phone
(which we gave up on for now).  The rest are Android.  We simply
installed CSipSimple application from APK or using Play store without
rooting the phone.  This allows people to communicate across the village
but there is no federation for this SIP server.

I am afraid we didn't do mesh networking.  It was plain old Wi-Fi
network spread across the village with Ethernet back-haul.  By the way,
we only have a single OLinuXino Lime2 at the center of the entire
village doing Internet routing, SIP calls, music streaming and file
sharing (at least for now).

--
Sunil