[Fsf-Debian] direct non-free contamination in main

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Sun Dec 2 02:58:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> This is to show how small is the dependency contamination issue even if we
> consider secondary alternative in depends or recommends as the dependency
> contamination.  (we have over 60,000 packages).
>
> I understand small number does not mean it does not need to be addressed.  If
> FSF really think it is important not to have such in our main, this small size
> of affected packages opens more chances to solve issues without much negative
> impacts, I think.
>
> (I myself do not wish to change status quo of Debian on this if FSF do not care
> about this.  But I also think if we can accomodate FSF wish without much
> negatives, why not do it.)

I would suggest this mail should instead have been sent to
debian-devel and be a mass-bug-filing discussion (as per devref 7.1.1)
since these are policy violations and bugs.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#submit-many-bugs

I would suggest that the best way to fix this issue for good is to
change the Debian archive software to enforce dependencies and
recommends to be within-main only and auto-reject packages that
violate this. Would you be willing to send the ftp-masters some dak
patches for this?

I note that motif is now free software:

http://bugs.debian.org/691393

--