[Fsf-collab] Random thoughts...

Jason Self jason at bluehome.net
Fri Jul 6 20:33:42 UTC 2012

Thorsten Alteholz asked:
> I understand that distributing non-free software is a problem. But why is
> Debian non-free just by mentioning or linking to non-free-software?

Where did anyone say that Debian was non-free? The only thing I've seen is that
is doesn't satisfy the FSF's endorsement criteria, nothing more.

The article "Avoiding Ruinous Compromises" [1] might be appropriate here.
Perhaps the concern is that endorsing a distribution that
distributes/recommends/whatever proprietary software makes it seem as if that's
a legitimate activity? Especially if the FSF is officially recommending that
people use it?

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/compromise.html