Can it play Linux based games under emu like FreeBSD?

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Wed Dec 7 05:57:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 04:58:16PM -0700, Stefan Srdic wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'm interrested in installing the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port.
> However, I'd like to know if the os can play Linux binaries,
> specifically games like UT2004 or Quake3.

Yes, it can.  But I haven't tried these games.

I think the easiest way is to build a Debian GNU/Linux chroot via debootstrap,
then mount devfs and linprocfs in it.  You can do this trick to work around
runtime problems in Firefox and OO.o, too.

> Also, is wine usuable at
> all?

Should be.  I made a patch (see http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/patches/) to
get it building, but at that time there were weird runtime errors (not
GNU-specific, they also affect FreeBSD).

AFAIK wine is maintained for FreeBSD, but not by the main developers, so it
might break from time to time.  It'd be useful if you tested the latest version
with my patch.  If that works then I think we can submit it.

--
Robert Millan