gnuab archive consistency, bugs in BTS

Petr Salinger Petr.Salinger at t-systems.cz
Wed Dec 7 09:11:17 UTC 2005

Hi all.

I found some unexpected things in archive:

1) more than one version of a binary package in unstable (23 times)
2) more than one version of a binary package in unreleased (3 times)
3) more than one version of a binary package in unreleased+unstable (187 times)

can be retested by something like
PKGS=/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.gnuab.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-kfreebsd-i386_Packages
cat $PKGS | grep ^Package: | sort | uniq -c | grep -v "^      1"

For 1), 2) the reason can be
- binary package is provided by more than one source package - mysql-server
- obsoleted source package, which is no longer in official debian unstable - fprobe-ng
- source package changed from any to all - postgresql

For 3) the reason can be also that the same source package is provided by
both unreleased and unstable. This is the case for 37 source packages:

acpica-unix
apt
ara
cdrtools
coreutils
cppunit
d4x
db3
erlang
fribidi
gcc-3.3
gcc-3.4
gcc-4.0
gmanedit
gnushogi
gtkterm
hamlib
id3lib3.8.3
ifupdown
koffice
krb5
libapache-mod-dav
libextractor
mmorph
octave2.1
proj
rio
romeo
roy
sdl-ttf2.0
soqt
taglib
tclreadline
twinkle
xaos
xmms-sid

There are many unsubmitted patches,
unreleased contains 449 source packages with following suffixes:

100 +cfg
120 +libtool
203 +kbsd

In BTS, there are listed at about 225 unfixed packages, see

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=kfreebsd;users=glibc-bsd-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org;pri0=pending:pending,forwarded,pending-fixed,fixed,done,absent;ttl0=Outstanding,Forwarded,Pending%20Upload,Fixed%20in%20NMU,Resolved;pri1=pending%3dpending%2btag%3dwontfix,pending%3dpending%2btag%3dmoreinfo,pending%3dpending%2btag%3dpatch,pending%3dpending%2btag%3dconfirmed,pending%3dpending;ttl1=Will%20Not%20Fix,More%20information%20needed,Patch%20Available,Confirmed,Unclassified;ord1=2,3,4,1,0,5

According to bug titles, suffixes would be
 40 +cfg
 35 +libtool
150 +kbsd

Is there any reason to not submit bug reports for classes +cfg and +libtool ?

My intent is to submit them in a batch for following source packages:
have the +cfg/+libtool in unreleased, not listed in our unstable (i.e. above 37 packages), no bug report tagged kfreebsd
Text would be based on http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/porting/
reportbug_cfg and reportbug_libtool.

Should I exclude more of them ? Should I (or anyone else) submit only +cfg ?
Is there any other suggested approach ?

Petr