glibc 2.3.6 status

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Wed Dec 21 22:40:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 11:01:40PM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

> Very nice christmas present :) That's a big step for the port.
>
> I don't have the time to check that now (I have to prepare my luggage),
> but I have taken all the files on my laptop. I will try to make a patch
> for the Debian glibc 2.3.5 package using your files, so that people can
> easily test it.

Already done.  =)

See trunk/glibc-2.3-head/debian.sh.  I've tested it with 2.3.5-9.  Basicaly:

  $ apt-get source glibc
  $ cd glibc-2.3.5
  $ ~/trunk/glibc-2.3-head/debian.sh ~/trunk/glibc-2.3-head

This will pack the sysdeps trees into a tarball and install the dpatch files in
debian/patches.  It'll also patch a few files in debian/ dir.

Critical problems:

  - DNS resolving doesn't work (at least in ipv4).  This appears to be a
  regression on a bug Aurelien already fixed some time ago.

  - in postinst:
  /usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/bin/perl: symbol pthread_atfork,
  version GLIBC_2.3 not defined in file libpthread.so.0 with link time reference

Other than this, it seems fine.  I was able to downgrade back to glibc 2.3
without problem.

> Also that is a first step to merge it in the official
> package. I will start to contact Goto for that. I have already talked
> with him at Debconf 5, and he basically agree to merge our patches. I
> was very enthusiastic about the GNU/kFreeBSD port, so that should not be
> a problem.

Ok I leave this for you.

> I think also that you could start to contact with upstream in order to
> merge all the glibc stuff in upstream. I suppose they don't want a big
> patch, so maybe it is a good idea to ask them how they want the patches.

On my experience, upstream wants it this way:

  - patch in bugzilla, then mail to libc-alpha (*not* bug-glibc, they don't read
    it) as a reminder.
  - changes/mails/everything as much granular as possible.

Besides, all the normal policies for GNU projects apply (submit ChangeLog entry,
assign copyright for big changes).  If you're going to submit a copyright
significant patch and need to track down its authorship, don't hesitate to ask
here (I think we can figure out everything).  If they're made by Bruno Haible or
me, then copyright paperwork is already done.

--
Robert Millan