RFC: ABI break

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Sat Dec 31 14:31:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 02:50:42PM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:

> There is some fix for sysdeps/unix/readdir_r.c in original
> glibc-2.3/patches/ in 001_orig.diff. This is not included
> in glibc-2.3-head/patches/.

Ah, good.  Sounds very much like it.

> Ideally someone with deep knowledge of original glibc-2.3
> (Aurelien ? , Robert ?) could comment for each remaining patch
> in trunk/glibc-2.3/patches/ whether should be included also
> in glibc-2.3-head/patches/

The main author of 001_orig.diff is Bruno.  There are some minor fixes of mine
but only the trivial stuff.  (and don't bother contacting him, he's not
responsive anymore..)

> to be (partially) decided:
> --------------------------
> 001_orig.diff		(partially)

I wonder what's this generic __revoke change that affects other platforms:

  glibc-2.3/sysdeps/generic/revoke.c
  glibc-2.3/sysdeps/mach/hurd/revoke.c
  glibc-2.3/sysdeps/unix/sysv/aix/revoke.c

I'm not sure if I did this myself.  But sounds like FTBFS fix only, so if the
thing builds without it, just ditch it.

And this one sounds like bullshit: :)

  glibc-2.3/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/setfpucw.c

I think it got mixed somehow.

> 005_divdi3-lldiv.diff

This is mine.  I did it without having any understanding on what I was doing,
just to get it building.  If it builds without it, then ditch it.

> 010_sscanf_crap.diff   	(obsolete ?)

Same here except the patch looks saner.

> 019_netinet_in_h.diff

Might be needed to avoid FTBFS in some packages that include <netinet/in.h>.

> 020_linuxthreads.diff  	(may be fix for linuxthreads_db/td_thr_getgregs.c)

IIRC I added this one to fix FTBFS.  If it isn't needed, ditch it.

--
Robert Millan