[gopher] RFC: Selector/item type 'R' -- RoarAudio server

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Tue Apr 26 20:23:47 UTC 2011

flum,

I ask for comments about using a new selector/item type 'R' for
RoarAudio servers. Here is what I would use it for and how:

Host and Port would be to be used like libroar does: Host/IP + Port for
INET and INET6, Host as Path and Port set to zero for UNIX, Host set to
node with '::' suffix and Port to Objectnumber for numerical DECnet
objects, Host set to node + '::' + object and Port set to zero for named
DECnet objects.

Selector can optionally start with slash. Leading slashes MUST be
ignored.

A empty (or only-slash) selector would point to a server in general (any
kind of operation).

Non-empty selectors should basicly follow the rules I use within roard
for the gopher status server. This means that a selector can contain a
command to be send to the server like setting flags on streams or start
to listen (monitor) to music passing thru the mixer.

Exact list of selectors need to be defined.

This is similar to type '8' (Telnet).

Comments?

Thanks for listening ;)

--