[gopher] prologic/gopherclient

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Wed Oct 5 05:55:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:25 AM, <denis.bernard at laposte.net> wrote:

> Dear James Mills,

Hi Danis :)

> I spent lot of time trying to compile your gopherclient and, if I solved
> some issues, it is not a success.
>
> First, my computer run Gentoo Linux. Second, I never played with golang...
>
> I loaded Gentoo packages for Go language and compiled them. (With Gentoo
> distro, no binaries : you have to compile everything...) I followed your
> instructions and I encountered a problem with the importation of "
> gopkg.in/qml.v1/webengine" (lines 16-17 in main.go). I solved this using
> a fork on Github and replacing lines 16-17 of main by :
>
> github.com/karalabe/qml
> github.com/karalabe/qml/webengine
>
> This should be solved. I vendored a forked version of qo-qml. As long as
you have Go 1.6+ this should *just work* with:

$ go get github.com/prologic/gopherclient

The second problem was about the lack of QTWebEngine on my computer. I
> compiled the available version for Gentoo Linux : QTWebEngine-5.6.1 . The
> compilation time was of 15 hours under my dual core Intel... I noticed,
> this morning, your new announce on the gopher project's list what you say
> about this requirement !

This is a major PITA. When I embarked on tis project I did not realize at
first what a pain QTWebEngine would be. Obviously it's packaged nicely (via
Homebrew) for OS X. I belive someone informed me there *are* in fact
packages for Ubuntu if you look hard enough.

> Finally, I compiled my modified version of Gopherclient. It was achieved
> successfully, without any warning. As you said in your README, running
> gopherclient directly make it crash. Running it with the command
> GODEBUG=cgocheck=0 doesn't crash it. But, only an empty GTK window is
> launched ! On the terminal, there is a Gtk-WARNING : Unable to locate theme
> engine in module_path: "adwaita".

This is strange and I'm unclear why GTK is at play here? This is QT
afterall? Maybe my Linux Desktop experience is a little rusty :)

> All those jobs were done under the lowest user's Posix right permissions.
> Not as super user. Under Linux systems, permissions are terrible ! And I am
> so ignorant of golang that I am unable to install a software written in Go
> language in the proper directories using superuser's Posix rights. Under
> simple user's Posix rights, it seems me easier to do. However as I tried to
> shift the binary and files (like main.qml and images directory) in the Go
> Root tree (/usr/lib/go), I had failures due unrecognised paths !

I also solved this as well by packaging assets/resources into the binary
using QT Resources (QRC). This should work as expected without any special
permissions or anything.

Thank you so much for your hard valiant efforts in trying to comile this on
Gentoo! I would greatyly apprecate further efforts trying to get
gopherclient working on LInux! I have a friend also trying to get it
working on CRUX (also a source-based sitro much like Gentoo) and I myself
am still trying to get it working/comiled on Ubuntu (usig virtual
machines/containers).

cheers
James