[gopher] Good news: OverbiteFF isn't dead yet

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Thu Oct 20 15:44:43 UTC 2016

Mozilla has shown some willingness to consider a protocol handler operator
in WebExtensions. This is only part of what we need, but I believe there
is some provision for TCP connections, and this would be enough for basic
support in a "there is no XUL only WebExtensions" world.

Meanwhile, I have a partially working translation of OverbiteFF to
Electrolysis in Firefox 51. As a side benefit, it should be able to install
itself without a restart. This would be transitional and it is possible all
of the current features may not translate but I was able to browse various
gopher sites this morning with it without *too* many issues. Hopefully we
will have a beta soon, though you may need one of the special testing
builds of Firefox to run it since it's currently not signed (it will be).

We're not dead yet!

-- FORTUNE: You have a magnetic personality. Avoid iron-based alloys. ---------