[gopher] ML moderator election

Héctor A. Abreu habreu71 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 21:15:09 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 04:59:06PM +0100, Matt Owen (Jaruzel) wrote:
> In article <20170808154140.GA13948 at gmail.com>, habreu71-
> Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org says...
> >On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 09:06:34AM -0600, SiMpLe MaChInEs wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyway.. What if we just moved the mailing list elsewhere, maybe to
> >> suckless.org or floodgap.com?
> >>

> >There is already a newsgroup comp.infosystems.gopher , if that can be an
> option.
>
> Looking at it on Google Groups (ugh), it seems nice an quiet and not very
> spammy.
>
> Pros: It's visible to drive-by people interested in Gopher.
>       It's [one of] the original homes for Gopher discussion.
> Cons: It's NNTP or Google Groups only, and not a mailing list as well.
>       People connecting and posting via their local NNTP server, would
> experience a delay in getting replies (I'm not sure of the replication
> speeds these days).
>
> -Jar

Would it be a good idea to discuss this Usenet option on the Usenet itself? We just need to start a discussion called something like "Checking Usenet for Gopher-Project Email list members". We can describe the situation of this email list on comp.infosystems.gopher and probably get some useful input from the regular users of that newsgroup, I think several members of this email list have already visited/posted there (Mateuzs Viste is one of them). We can then check anything related to possible delays in getting replies. There are some testing newsgroups (like alt.test) but I think this would be a discussion rather that just a test, and a topic of interest for Gopher and Usenet users alike.

Those who know newcomers who could't join this email list should invite them to participate in that discussion.

I could start the discussion but I would prefer someone with more knowledge on Gopher and newsgroups would do it, I consider myself new to Usenet (just playing around with SLRN) but I find it very interesting. If no one volunteers to start then I can post a message for you to reply.
--
Héctor A. Abreu