[gopher] Gopher Community Infrastructure...

Coyo T Stormcaller coyo at darkdna.net
Thu Aug 31 05:39:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 22:51:34 -0700
"Bradley D. Thornton" <Bradley at NorthTech.US> wrote:

> Consensus - I love consensus building, because it takes time, and
> allows everyone that time to reflect on just how a decision might
> have far reaching impact for the group.

Consensus is a lot easier to reach in a modern world of truly global
connectivity, such as that provided by the Iridium satellite
constellation. Obviously, as overall wealth, the affordability and
accessibility of launching high throughput satellites and the overall
engineering education of the global population improves, global
satellite and cellular coverage will also improve, meaning no matter
where people are, they will be capable of participating fully in
semi-automated consensus-building networks for distributed
decisionmaking.

So yes, I like consensus, even in larger communities, assuming certain
criteria are met, such as sufficiently capable AI, sensory and
geotagging information, and true ubiquity.

I can't wait until we have truly ubiquitous, truly pole-to-pole,
affordable, reliable gigabit satellite+cellular coverage. Gigabit
satellite is entirely possible, just too expensive right now to
justify. With better utilization of existing spectrum in the Ku and Ka
bands, techniques already in use for cellular signaling such as spatial
multiplexing, 16x16 MU-MIMO and active, dynamic spectrum management,
and many, many satellites, and many, many smaller, overlapping cells,
it is entirely within the realm of possibility.

And when this kind of internetworking access is affordable and taken
for granted, semi-automated consensus systems for tens of billions of
individuals will probably also be taken for granted.