"minit" point of view

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Sat Aug 27 08:56:18 UTC 2005

also sprach Erich Schubert <erich.schubert at gmail.com> [2005.08.27.0301 +0200]:
> > Yes, the issue gets a whole lot more complicated with parallel
> > execution. FWIW, I think you only need to keep track of grey state
> > per execution thread. You don't need to track which service
> > requested which other service.
>
> Keeping track of execution threads can become very complicated. Try to
> avoid that.
> I'd have trouble actually defining what an execution thread is...

In this context: a disjunct set of vertices in the dependency graph.

> Or consider the case that service a depends on service b, so you
> start service b, too. Now the user requests service a to be shut
> down - why should you keep service b running?

aptitude's auto feature...

> > So what happens when the DNS service fails to start?
>
> The magically modified postfix server won't accept incoming
> connections until the dns server replies, not losing any mail.

Ah, but that's because postfix itself is smart.

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

the only secure micro$oft software is
what's still shrink-wrapped in the warehouse.