Ubuntu's upstart project

paddy paddy at panici.net
Tue Aug 29 03:12:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:33:47AM +0000, Anders Aagaard wrote:
> Armin Berres wrote:
> >Anders Aagaard wrote:
> >
> >Ander, you are living ;-)
> >A pity you have left Initng - maybe things would have gone another way
> >if you'd have stayed with us.
> >Anyway - we will see what the future brings.
>
> Yeah, I'm still alive ;), I didn't have time to work on initng for a
> while.  And when I now have some time to code again, a lot of projects
> are looking to replace standard init, and it looks like initng wont be
> the default for the biggest distro's.

Apologies for butting in, and also for burying this in a thread, and if it
doesn't make sense.

FWIW, IMHO, etc, etc ...

---

my gut instinct is that the default *should* be as simple as and modular
as possible, although, who knows, the state of the art may turn out to be
something very different indeed.

and (again my instinct is) as far as possible, debian should be looking
to be init agnostic, not fall into the ghetto of a distro-specific
implementation.

I really worry at the idea that folding cron into into init makes for an
improvement, although I haven't looked at that approach closely,
so maybe I'm missing the merit.

there are bigger fish to fry than usability or performance: clusters,
embedded systems, security, stabilty, portability, etc ...

I really care about init and friends, on account of the amount of admin
time I have put in, in the last 15 or so years, and so worry about
possible well-meaning but short-sighted solutions to our problems.

---

Much of the above could be received as horribly negative, and, in any case,
I wish to thank you who are actually coding futures to our problems.

I hope that these observations, from someone who does not have the time
that he would like to devote to the problems, are not a waste of your time.

it was the word 'default' what woke me up :-)

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall