Debian LSB Init Scripts.

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Jun 6 13:06:55 UTC 2006

[Gustavo Franco]
> Well, it seems to be obvious but before somebody else suggest this,
> insserv won't be included in the 'desktop environment' nor in other
> task (tasksel) by default.

Perhaps not, but having it around make it easier to argue that the
dependency information provided in the init.d scripts is useful.  And
if someone come up with an alternative system using the same
dependency information, it will be a set forward anyway.  I believe
the most important feature of this dependency info at the moment is
the fact that it allow us to automatically detect errors in the boot
sequence.  The more script include dependency info, the more
confidence can we have in the current fixed boot sequence.

> I think we should change the boot to run in parallel ASAP by
> default, and work to fix the bugs we introduced (if any).

I'm not sure if that is a good idea.  It will make the boot system
non-deterministic, and I am not sure the speedup gain is significant
enough to warrant that.  I want to see numbers from the testing done
by the SoC student before recommending to turn on parallel booting by
default.

> That's possible that with this first step, we will be already
> forcing more maintainers to be friendly with our "LSB headers"
> related bugs. I don't know who is behind this decision, but release
> team could help us saying if it's a sane goal for Etch or Etch+1
> stuff only.

Personally I suspect etch+1 is the sensible place to make parallel
booting the default, and that we should only aim to get the dependency
information in place for etch.

> If the Google SoC student is already there, please move the thread. :-)

He is, so I move it.  CC there.  Please follow up on
initscripts-ng-devel at .

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen