Generating in debian/rules, maybe?

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Fri May 11 11:39:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 11.05.2007, 09:15 +0000 schrieb paddy at panici.net:
> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:53:32PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > Hi,
> > >just a thought: Instead of setting up some install-time mechanism on the
> > >user's machine that creates the various init script files from our
> > >meta-init-information, why not do it at build time?
> >
> > Because we'd need to rebuild some thousand packages whenever we add a
> > new init system then.
>
> which happens how often ?
>
> but what it does mean, is that bug fixes to this new system would have
> to propagate through builds of thousands of packages, and that would
> be a very unfortunate thing to wish on a new system.

I know, this it the big drawback when doing it at build time. If it is
worse than the problems we might have and cause by doing it at install
time, well, it’s install time then. But really should consider it.

How has the experience been with other build-time created code? menu
entries, generated post-inst-code, python modules etc? Is there anything
of similar complexity done centrally at build-time (besides turning
meta-machine code into machine code :-))?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner