Latitude / Longitude mapping

Gerald Gutierrez md1 at mogeso.com
Fri Aug 8 15:17:48 UTC 2008

Does anyone have experience with using kdtree's in a spherical mapping
scenario? I need to batch geolocate a set of lats/longs to their closest
cities (data from geonames.org) and am having trouble working out how I
would map the lats/longs into 2D coordinates that make sense for a kdtree.
Not certain whether the spherical nature of the Earth would affect anything.
Would I simply use lat/long as the kdtree coordinates, or do I need to
convert them into a planar mapping first?