New Git Repositories Organization

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 11:48:22 UTC 2009

On 11/13/2009 06:44 AM, Farzad Sehat wrote:
> Below you can find the new organization of he Lisaac git repositories.
> You must notice that any source code is deleted, this is just
> a new organization.
>
> Lisaac team has now a new git organization policy:
>
>     * Nobody must commit to the master branch of the compiler.git
>     * Any commit in the master branch of the compiler.git is
>       prohibited and after 3 warnings you are baned from the team
>     * Nobody must create Git *repository* without asking first to
>       Xavier Oswald <x.oswald at lisaac.org <mailto:x.oswald at lisaac.org>>

You can always create repositories under your own homedir in alioth.
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git#UsingpersonalGitrepositories

>     * You can create *branches *in each Git repositories with the
>       following rule:
>
> <name>_<feature> where feature is the reason why you want a new branch
>
>     * Please make the necessary to remove all old branches and to
>       follow the new policy
>     * Please update your code with the new beta compiler release in
>       order to be ready for the future stable release

The questions are:

    * What happens to the stable branch?
    * Where will Benoit commit? I don't think he should commit in the
      default branch (whatever it is called, for the moment it is called
      stable). Sometimes he breaks the bootstrapping and we want to
      always have a version of the compiler that can bootstrap and do
      useful things.

Now, this was how I saw the repository:

    * master: where Benoit commits. He (supposedly) merges with stable
      frequently
    * stable: where there is a compiler that always bootstrap (or if it
      doesn't, that is very rare, we all make mistakes).
    * lisaac-VER: where the version VER is prepared, it always bootstrap
      and only minor changes (bugfixes mostly, and accepted features for
      this release) are allowed in. This would be a more restrictive
      subset of 'stable'.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya