New Git Repositories Organization

Xavier Oswald xoswald at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:18:24 UTC 2009

On 12:48 Fri 13 Nov     , Mildred Ki'Lya wrote:
> You can always create repositories under your own homedir in alioth.
> http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git#UsingpersonalGitrepositories

Right, I forgot this fact.

> The questions are:
>
>   • What happens to the stable branch?
>   • Where will Benoit commit? I don't think he should commit in the default
>     branch (whatever it is called, for the moment it is called stable).
>     Sometimes he breaks the bootstrapping and we want to always have a version
>     of the compiler that can bootstrap and do useful things.
>
> Now, this was how I saw the repository:
>
>   • master: where Benoit commits. He (supposedly) merges with stable frequently
>   • stable: where there is a compiler that always bootstrap (or if it doesn't,
>     that is very rare, we all make mistakes).
>   • lisaac-VER: where the version VER is prepared, it always bootstrap and only
>     minor changes (bugfixes mostly, and accepted features for this release) are
>     allowed in. This would be a more restrictive subset of 'stable'.

To make it simple:

 Benoit commit to master for his development and take feature from other
 branch name_feature and merge to master. After having sometimes a stable master
 branch he merge with stable.

 So only Benoit will commit to stable and master.

 stable will be used for new releases and tagging will be done from this branch

 For lare new feature averybody is allow to create a branch name_feature for
 doing new development.

 All lisaac-X branch will be deleted.
 We will tag all lisaac-X new release.

 Having lisaac-X branch and lisaac-X tags make confusing about where is what.

 This will made our development process clear and simple.

 And don't forget that you can development a new branch on your machine and tell
 Benoit/the list, that we can fetch a new branch somewhere on a machine.

Greetings,
--
 ,''`.| ====== Xavier Oswald  ====== | mail: xoswald at debian.org         |
: :' :| Engineer at CALDERA GRAPHICS | http://www.caldera.eu            |