RE : debian and gentoo branches [to be removed]

PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Tue Nov 17 10:03:25 UTC 2009

> Using libLIBNAME-LANGUAGE is used for lot of libraries in debian.
> I see no need of having a policy for that.

ok

> > When releasing, we included a lot of libraries in the final package but not
> > all of theme. In fact there are some libraries
> > which does not work with current compiler version. And moreover there are
> > some libs which were not tested when releasing.
> > If you look at the current release tarball in the website, in the lib
> > directory you have :
> >
> >    - standard
> >    - internal
> >
> > the two above, have to be included in the lisaac-common packages, as they
> > are part of the compiler.git
>
> But we can not create a common binary package from two different source package.
>
> we must put the standard and internal in the compiler.git if you want to distribute
> then all together in lisaac-common. this lisaac-common is a sort of libstdc++ ?

right.

> > As you said before some libraries are non compatibles all together.
> > Must we  have a sort of .so number for the lisaac libraries ?

> We cannot !
> Lisaac uses global compilation, you cannot load .so or wathever extension module
> in a Lisaac code.

ok so we must wait for user to report bug saying my application use libA (1.0.0) + libB (1.0.1) do not compile.

how can we ensure that everything library installed on the system are compatible ?

maybe we can think about a dh_lisaac that help use generate the right lisaac::Depends use to compute the binary package
dependencies.

> Lisaac parses the source and generate one executable file. That's all.

Yes I know

See you

PS: I would like to use lisaac in real life for some scientific computation, but if I can not generate
a libxxx.so library usable from C or C++ programs, it is pointless to me :((.

Greetings,
 ,''`. Xavier Oswald                         | xoswald at debian.org
: :' : Software Engineer at CALDERA GRAPHICS | http://www.caldera.eu
`. `'  GNU/LINUX Debian Developer            | http://www.debian.org