[Logcheck-devel] Unsure about the responsibility of Bug # 260660 - logcheck entry missing

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Aug 31 07:22:17 UTC 2009

also sprach Marc Haber <mh+logcheck-devel at zugschlus.de> [2009.08.31.0840 +0200]:
> How many packages actually do this?

Not enough to make logcheck-database obsolete. That package should
really just not exist, IMHO.

We don't have cron-database, or pam-database, or logrotate-database,
or a package to install init.d scripts for daemons that don't do it
themselves.

Apart from extra work for the logcheck team, having hundreds of
files in logcheck-database means a lot more work for logcheck to
process filters that are designed for messages that are never
generated on systems that don't have most of the packages installed.

And it makes no sense to me to have to update logcheck-database
every time one of those packages provides a new upstream version or
otherwise changes the format of the log messages.

Obviously, all of this would make even more sense if logcheck had
proper macros/templates, so that maintainers should just saty
@IPV4_ADSRESS@ instead of having to contribute yet another regular
expression that matches some, but not all, IPv4 addresses, as well
as an indeterminate amount of non-IPv4-address text. Yes, I have
seen .{,15} be used, as well as [^[:space:]]*.

</rant>

> Marc, aide maintainer, with zero packages shipping their own
> rules, and exim4 maintqainer, with zero packages shipping their
> own exim config snippets

If you're like to change that, we're happy to work through the
transition with you.

whatever you do will be insignificant,
but it is very important that you do it.
                                                     -- mahatma gandhi

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net