[Ltrace-devel] ltrace not working on some shared objects

Patric Schmitz bzk0711 at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 11:23:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:03:36 +0200
Petr Machata <pmachata at redhat.com> wrote:
> Patric Schmitz <bzk0711 at aol.com> writes:
> > that easily, so I'm kinda stuck here. What might be reasons for ltrace
> > not being able to trace calls in-between linked shared objects?

> In your case, if you want to trace calls _to_ libGL, the more useful
> ltrace flag might be -l libGL\*.

I already tried that, but it works only if I link the libraries which
call into libGL statically. With other applications, e.g. glxgears, I
can see the calls *from* the shared libGL *to* libnvidia-glcore by
doing "ltrace -l libnv\* glxgears" as expected. I need to see the calls
from my shared objects (which were built as shown in the last mail) to
libGL.

> Do specify -f for multithreaded objects.

Great, so it works for threads as well as for processes. Did that but
got no results so far.

> Also, the above hasn't worked the way I describe it until ltrace >= 0.7.
> Not sure where your ltrace comes from, some distros carry obsolete
> versions.  Current GIT master is in a fairly good shape and should work.

This is version 0.7.3 on Arch Linux. I had already tried the git
master but to no avail.

The OpenGL error is resolved by the way, I was simply running out of
VRAM as it turned out, but I still would really like to resolve this
issue.

Some system information:
Linux 3.15.6-1-ARCH
gcc (GCC) 4.9.1