Minicom in a black box?

Oisin Curtin Oisin.Curtin@PhoenixFltOps.com
Mon, 07 Mar 2005 16:11:19 +0000

Adam Lackorzynski wrote:
> On Mon Mar 07, 2005 at 15:35:54 +0000, Oisin Curtin wrote:
>
>>I need to do a transfer across dialup lines when no one is at either
>>end.  The process must run from cron.
[snip]

> minicom uses external programs for xmodem etc, so you could just take
> those directly for transmitting your data?! (e.g. from the lrzsz package).

Well, there's locking the serial port, dialing and logging on that minicom
does do, and does very well.  Then after the upload, I need to deal with
the junk rz/sz leaves behind (you know how you have to backspace after a
transfer?) and run a custom process at the other end.

   I could do it all as a fake PPP dial out, but I don't really think I
that would be reliable enough to save me from 3AM wakeup calls.

   I'm thinking of running minicom under expect and hoping it will
believe there is a terminal somewhere under expect.

--
Oisin  "eternal optimist"  Curtin