Why is runscript always version 1.23?

Oisin Curtin Oisin.Curtin@PhoenixFltOps.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 02:38:39 +0000

I've been looking at (OK, hacking) the code in script.c.

Runscript does not implement --version.  It would be great if it did.
But by some truly original hacking, every version of runscript contains
the version string (try `strings /usr/bin/runscript`)

	"@(#)runscript 1.23 31-May-1999 JL"

which appears to have been inserted by the Unix version control system.
The current CVS release number is *also* in the source, but some strange
hack has been made to avoid adding it to the binary.  Is there any
reason not to include the correct version and make it available via the
--version option?

--
Oisin  "Brain v 1.0   I never use 1.0 wetware!"  Curtin