MiniCom-- Error Lock Failed

Oisin Curtin Oisin.Curtin@PhoenixFltOps.com
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:43:15 +0000

Maximus wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am using minicom version 2.00.0
[snip]
> I am Using Fedora Core 2  Operating System on Intel.

I'm using the same OS at the moment.

>>>[root@LocalSystem ]# minicom
>>>Device /dev/input/ttyACM0 lock failed: No such file or directory.
>>>
>>>What is the error ?.

"No such file or directory." is the readable version of error ENOENT
which occurs when a file or a directory along the path to a file does
not exist.

This message comes from a Red Hat patch: minicom-1.83.1-rh.patch.  I
think it is part of the work  they did to comply to the Linux System
Standards which govern things like the location of lock files.  This
patch fails for me, even on the minicom source rpm from Fedora.  I think
it is from an older version of minicom and the patch was not updated.

>>>Why does this error occur ?.

The message itself in misleading.
The error occurs on the lock file, not the device file.

I'm guessing, but I think the pathname for the lock file is being
generated with the subdirectory, i.e. /dev/input/ttyACM0 is translated
to /var/lock/input/LCK..ttyACM0 and of course, there is no
/var/lock/input folder.

>>>How to prevent this error ?.

Obviously, a long-term fix will have to come from Fedora, but try this
for as a work-around:

     su -
   [enter root's password]
     mkdir /var/lock/input
     chmod a+rwx /var/lock/input
     exit

If this fixes it, you need to update your Fedora system.  Unfortunately,
Core 2 is now supported by "Fedora Legacy" which will not fix this sort
of bug.  You need to prove it's a bug on a current version of Fedora
before reporting it on bugzilla.

HTH

--
Oisin  "Yes, we have no bananas/We have no locking files too."  Curtin