libiconv error (symbol not found) but libiconv.so.2 IS present under /usr/local/lib

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Sep 29 20:19:56 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 16:39:35 -0400, Netcool Netcool wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just downloaded minicom-2.1, and after running configure with
> libiconv support, I get the following error in config.log:
>
>   $ ./configure --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local
>
> ## --------- ##
> ## Platform. ##
> ## --------- ##
>
> hostname = netcool
> uname -m = sun4u
> uname -r = 5.9
> uname -s = SunOS
> uname -v = Generic_118558-11
>
> --- and some lines below:
>
> configure:5071: checking for iconv
> configure:5099: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/usr/local/include
> -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c  >&5
> libiconv_close                      /var/tmp//ccWqeCD6.o
> libiconv_open                       /var/tmp//ccWqeCD6.o
> libiconv                            /var/tmp//ccWqeCD6.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure:5102: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | #line 5079 "configure"
> | /* confdefs.h.  */

Umm, the above line cannot work as it's missing the -liconv at least.

> I have installed libiconv from sunfreeware.com, along with gcc and all
> other relevant stuff...
>
> Do I need something else in order to get this up&running?
>
> I have attached all config.* files.

So, I just tried on a Solaris8 box with iconv installed in /usr/local,
without the parameter, and it just worked. Even the error is there but
nevertheless it says "checking for iconv... yes". So could you try just
without the parameter? Does configure exit with an error?

Adam
Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de