problems with minicom and a PBX

Jens Bürger jens.buerger at cs.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Mar 15 08:18:42 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I have got a problem with Minicom and connecting to a PBX.

I'm running Lubuntu Linux (11.04 I think) with minicom and I want to connect to a Telekom Octopus E300/800 PBX via RS232.

The PBX itself is allright, because using the original provided Windows 98-Terminalemulation, everything works as expected.

But, using minicom, I've got some issues: the communications seems to run fine so far, but there are some minor issues the communication is lacking:

- German Umlauts (I'm just getting the inverse questionmarks instead)
- text colors

The major problem is that there is a problem when typing Meta-keys like ESC, F3 and F4.
These keys are important when programming the PBX.
When I'm typing F3 or F4 for instance, the PBX seems to receive 'r' / 's' (when I remember right).

The only point that could solve my problem yet was the "Macros enabled"-option of minicom. AFAIR, disabling this didn't help.

The PBX is said to do a VT220-Emulation.

What can I do?

Jens