[mgt-devel] [Multignometerm-devel] work plan

Emil Nowak emil5 at go2.pl
Sun Feb 17 20:47:33 UTC 2008

On 17-02-2008, at 21:37:11 Mohammed Sameer wrote:

> I'm honestly not sure which direction to follow.
> Rewriting from scratch means we will have to carefully list all the features
> implemented already be mgt (I don't know all of them honestly) and
> re-implement them.
And probably we will forget about something which will make new MGT worse that
the original version.

> mgt code is really bad. Check it.
I saw the code - it doesn't look good. Besides even indentation is not
consistent everywhere.

> The author re-implements GtkNotebook for
> example. He copied libzvt and modified the code.
Probably he had some reasons for it.

> We also have the problem of "porting" the glade files to glade2 (Gtk2).
We could drop glade dependency as well. GUI is not very complicated we can do
it without glade.

> Problem with rewriting it is we will have to go through a lot of coding and
> debugging. It might be the same effort as porting it but I don't really know.
>
> How's your gtk1/gtk2 experience ?
I was writing new apps only in gtk2, and the only thing I used gtk1 is for
porting to gtk2 :-P

> Another problem is that libzvt2 (mgt used zvt1.x as its terminal widget)
> seems dead. We can of course adapt and maintain it. It's scheduled for
> removal from Debian and it'd be easier for us to maintain it rather than
> re-adding it.
>
> VTE is the new widget used by GT. I noticed it's a bit slower. That's why
> I'm not sure which direction to follow.
Does libVTE have all needed features we need to fully implement MGT
functionality? For example is there some signal handler when terminal content
is changing ? We could use this for coloring tabs.

> As for tabterm, I cooked it in a very short time for it to be my MGT
> replacement. Of course we can use it as a codebase for MGT2. Problem is
> depending on gtkmm (I personally love gtkmm) means we need to pull a lot of
> dependencies. and if we decided to use zvt, we will have to wrap it
> ourselves.
Gtkmm is not a "big" dependency IMHO as long as we don't use libgnome* stuff.
BTW: why MGT is using liborbit, and libgnorba27. What functionality is it
using from those libraries?

> Which preference do you have ? C or C++ BTW ?
For applications like MGT I prefer c++ and gtkmm.

--
Regards