[mgt-devel] [Multignometerm-devel] work plan

Mohammed Sameer msameer at foolab.org
Sun Feb 17 21:22:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 09:47:33PM +0100, Emil Nowak wrote:
> On 17-02-2008, at 21:37:11 Mohammed Sameer wrote:
>
> > I'm honestly not sure which direction to follow.
> > Rewriting from scratch means we will have to carefully list all the features
> > implemented already be mgt (I don't know all of them honestly) and
> > re-implement them.
> And probably we will forget about something which will make new MGT worse that
> the original version.

But it can be added.
Me + you + Craig can probably identify most of what's needed. I can also quickly
scan the code to see.

> > mgt code is really bad. Check it.
> I saw the code - it doesn't look good. Besides even indentation is not
> consistent everywhere.

It was a GT fork. It's expected but I guess indent can fix that ;-)

> > The author re-implements GtkNotebook for
> > example. He copied libzvt and modified the code.
> Probably he had some reasons for it.
>
> > We also have the problem of "porting" the glade files to glade2 (Gtk2).
> We could drop glade dependency as well. GUI is not very complicated we can do
> it without glade.

I second that.

> > Problem with rewriting it is we will have to go through a lot of coding and
> > debugging. It might be the same effort as porting it but I don't really know.
> >
> > How's your gtk1/gtk2 experience ?
> I was writing new apps only in gtk2, and the only thing I used gtk1 is for
> porting to gtk2 :-P

Same here.

> > Another problem is that libzvt2 (mgt used zvt1.x as its terminal widget)
> > seems dead. We can of course adapt and maintain it. It's scheduled for
> > removal from Debian and it'd be easier for us to maintain it rather than
> > re-adding it.
> >
> > VTE is the new widget used by GT. I noticed it's a bit slower. That's why
> > I'm not sure which direction to follow.
> Does libVTE have all needed features we need to fully implement MGT
> functionality? For example is there some signal handler when terminal content
> is changing ? We could use this for coloring tabs.

I'm still trying to find out how was it implemented in mgt!!

> > As for tabterm, I cooked it in a very short time for it to be my MGT
> > replacement. Of course we can use it as a codebase for MGT2. Problem is
> > depending on gtkmm (I personally love gtkmm) means we need to pull a lot of
> > dependencies. and if we decided to use zvt, we will have to wrap it
> > ourselves.
> Gtkmm is not a "big" dependency IMHO as long as we don't use libgnome* stuff.
> BTW: why MGT is using liborbit, and libgnorba27. What functionality is it
> using from those libraries?

No idea. probably because libgnome depends on it.

> > Which preference do you have ? C or C++ BTW ?
> For applications like MGT I prefer c++ and gtkmm.

OK. C++ and gtkmm it is (-:

Cheers,

--
GPG-Key: 0xA3FD0DF7 - 9F73 032E EAC9 F7AD 951F  280E CB66 8E29 A3FD 0DF7
Debian User and Developer.