[Neurodebian-devel] RE : Packaging of anatomist

RIVIERE Denis denis.riviere at cea.fr
Wed Feb 9 21:32:13 UTC 2011

Hi Michael,

It doesn't really surprise me that anatomist crashes when its data files are not found: as these files are part of the same project sources, they are not really expected to be missing, and as you have seen Anatomist is a quite big project which has grown with years through different ages, and is not a model of software engineering at every place (we tried to, but...). The crash should not be difficult to avoid, and a clear error message could be issued instead (I have just assigned myself a bug report).

I haven't completely understood what you tried to do: what do you call a "painted volume" ?
Displaying several volumes need to make a "3D fusion" object from the different volumes (using the "fusion" button mechanism): it is a bit surprising at first to require such a user interaction, but then it allows to choose how the different volumes are merged in the interaction. And then you can build other objects from this 2D fusion (like volume rendering, or arbitrarily oriented slices), or involving also other objects (texturing a mesh, or a plane in a cut mesh, and so on). Once you get a bit used to it, the manipulations in anatomist are all similar.

You also have a simpler application based on Anatomist library (and its python bindings): it's called "anasimpleviewer.py" (it's also in the bin/ directory) for more conventional manipulations and a more classical user interface: it performs this kind of fusions automatically as you load volumes for instance (but is fairly limited compared to the full featured anatomist).

Denis